Re: FK's to refer to rows in inheritance child - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: FK's to refer to rows in inheritance child
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 12:41 PM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
> Well, ISTM that amounts to not having "official topic branches" :-) I agree
> that this is supposed to be one of git's strengths (or more exactly a
> strength of distributed SCM's generally).  I don't really see any great
> value in sanctifying a particular topic branch with some official status.

I think the value in an official topic branch would be to allow formal
incremental commit of large patches.  In other words, we could decide
that a commit to the official topic branch must meet the same
standards of quality normally applied to a commit to the master
branch, and must go through the same process.  It would be understood
that the topic branch would eventually be merged (with or without
squash) back into the master branch, but that objections were to be
raised as pieces were committed to the topic branch, not at merge
time.  The merge itself would require consensus as to timing, but we'd
agree to take a dim view of "I haven't reviewed anything that's been
going on here for the last six months but now hate all of it".

I think that this sort of approach could be useful either for really
big projects, like perhaps SQL/MED; or possibly for certain categories
of changes (things we want to include the next time we do a libpq
version bump).  Although, the trouble with the latter is that we do
compatibility breaks so rarely that the effort involved in maintaining
the branch might well exceed the value we'd get out of having it.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company