Re: pg_regress multibyte setting - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Itagaki Takahiro
Subject Re: pg_regress multibyte setting
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 08:06, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> Is it a good idea that we run make check with MULTIBYTE = SQL_ASCII by
> default?  We run it with the user's locale by default, so shouldn't we
> use the encoding that belongs to the locale by default?  Otherwise we
> are testing a fairly unrepresentative environment.  If you really want
> to test SQL_ASCII you could of course choose it explicitly or set the
> locale to C.

It seems good to run make check successfully on many platforms,
but we might miss locale-dependent bugs.

Personally speaking, I often recommend to use UTF-8 + C locale combinations
for users, but I'm not sure it's the most common use-cases or not.

--
Itagaki Takahiro