Re: BUG #5559: Full SSL verification fails when hostaddr provided - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: BUG #5559: Full SSL verification fails when hostaddr provided
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 00:09, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> "Christopher Head" <chris2k01@hotmail.com> writes:
>> When establishing a connection to a PostgreSQL server using a connection
>> string, there are two parameters that can be provided to specify where to
>> connect to: "host" and "hostaddr". If both are provided, the documentati=
on
>> states that "hostaddr" is used to actually establish the socket (thus
>> avoiding
>> a potentially-expensive DNS lookup), while "host" is used for doing some
>> Kerberos stuff.
>
>> It makes sense that in the case of an SSL connection with
>> "sslmode=3Dverify-full" (check that the server's certificate is signed b=
y a
>> trusted CA and has the
>> correct hostname), if both parameters are provided, that "host" also be =
used
>> for certificate checking. Unfortunately, as per line 536 of the file
>> fe-secure.c in the PostgreSQL sources, if hostaddr is specified, SSL full
>> verification just plain fails without trying at all. I suspect this line
>> should be "if (!conn->pghost)" instead of "if (conn->pghostaddr)".
>
> That's really a definitional change, but it seems like a reasonable one
> to me. =A0Magnus, what do you think?

Yeah, I think it is, but I haven't had the time to look into the code
yet to see if I agree with the fix as well. Hope to get there soon.

--=20
=A0Magnus Hagander
=A0Me: http://www.hagander.net/
=A0Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/