Re: Postgres forums ... take 2 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Postgres forums ... take 2
Date
Re: Postgres forums ... take 2  (Stephen Cook <sclists@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 16:40, Craig Ringer <craig@postnewspapers.com.au> wrote:
> On 11/16/2010 08:43 PM, Elliot Chance wrote:
>>
>> Alrighty, here are the revised plans for beta3:
>>
>> --- Changes / Fixes
>>
>> * Without a doubt everyone one wants the forums to match the mailing
>> lists. I personally think that this defeats the whole purpose of a forum,
>> but i'm here to do what the community thinks is best. The extra forums that
>> are not connected with a mailing list will be removed. And some of the
>> forums renamed - i'll leave that part up to you to decide amongst
>> yourselves.
>
> On a bit of a side-note, I'm increasingly wishing Stack Overflow had a mail
> interface. I take Greg's point that it's an increasingly key place for
> people (especially people not otherwise engaged in the community) to seek
> information and help. It's a pity that there doesn't seem to be a good way
> to connect the StackOverflow postgresql discussion in some way that makes it
> more visible on the main community resources.
>
> I think Greg may have a point when questioning whether adding a forum
> interface is overly useful, given that Stack Overflow already exists and
> doesn't see all that much attention. OTOH, maybe forums will draw people who
> otherwise ask on S.O. to the community, providing a bit of a bridge. It's
> worth a try.

I think stack overflow is something different, though, with it's
rating systems and such.

What I'm more interested in is still a word from the people who would
actually *use* a forum on how this would be better than sites like
Nabble and Gmane.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/