Re: vacuumdb for schema only - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Bèrto ëd Sèra
Subject Re: vacuumdb for schema only
Date
List pgsql-admin
Nice to know that, which means we can only send out scripts by cron...

On 8 September 2010 16:06, Fabrízio de Royes Mello <fabriziomello@gmail.com> wrote:

2010/9/8 Bèrto ëd Sèra <berto.d.sera@gmail.com>

Hi!

I would also expect you to be able to make a Stored Procedure executing the same command, although I never tried it myself.

It is not possible... vacuum cannot be executed inside a function or transaction.

See de sample:

-- Using function
CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION fc_vacuum(TEXT) RETURNS VOID AS
$$
BEGIN
  EXECUTE 'VACUUM '||$1;
  RETURN;
END;
$$
LANGUAGE plpgsql;

postgres@bdteste=# select fc_vacuum('foo');
ERROR:  VACUUM cannot be executed from a function
CONTEXT:  SQL statement "VACUUM foo"
PL/pgSQL function "fc_vacuum" line 2 at execute statement

-- Using transaction
postgres@bdteste=# begin;
BEGIN
postgres@bdteste=# VACUUM foo;
ERROR:  VACUUM cannot run inside a transaction block

Best regards,

--
Fabrízio de Royes Mello

--
Constitution du 24 juin 1793 - Article 35. - Quand le gouvernement viole les droits du peuple, l'insurrection est, pour le peuple et pour chaque portion du peuple, le plus sacré des droits et le plus indispensable des devoirs.