Re: Hiding data in postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: Hiding data in postgresql
Date
Re: Hiding data in postgresql  (Sam Mason <sam@samason.me.uk>)
List pgsql-general
On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 3:16 PM, Hector Beyers <hqbeyers@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi guys,
> does ANYONE have any tips on hiding data on a database server? This means
> that data is stored in places that is not necessarily picked up in the
> schema of the database. I am doing some research on databases and need some
> direction.
> Any help or direction will be highly appreciated.

First question: Have you considered 1. encrypting data when you put it
in the database and 2. decrypting it when you pull it out?

Let me humbly state that the #1 problem that beginners face with
security and encryption is focusing too much on the mechanics and not
enough on the 'big picture' issues:

*) What data is to remain secret?
*) Who is allowed to see the secret data?
*) When do they see it?
*) What sacrifices are you willing to make to keep the data secret?
*) Where are you going to store the key?

Answers to those questions should get you more helpful answers.
Postgres has a lot of features to hide data, some obvious (pgcrypto,
grant/revoke) and some not so obvious (revoking permissions from
pg_proc).  Judging from your question you may be interested in some
extra-special techniques...please be more specific!

merlin