Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add TCP keepalive support to libpq. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add TCP keepalive support to libpq.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 10:40 AM, Florian Pflug <fgp@phlo.org> wrote:
> On Jun 24, 2010, at 16:30 , Robert Haas wrote:

>>> Huh?  The above is 100% fanciful; there was no code in libpq or anywhere
>>> else that would have processed such a thing.
>>
>> You can do this:
>>
>> psql "host=127.0.0.1 options='-c tcp_keepalives_idle=1'"
>
> Hm, seems a bit error-prone though. The difference between the above
>
> psql "host=127.0.0.1 keepalives=1"
>
> isn't immediately obvious I'd say.
>
> Should we maybe rename the libpq-side parameters to tcp_client_keepalives, tcp_client_keepalives_idle,
tcp_client_keepalives_countand tcp_client_keepalives_interval? Or do we expect people who fiddle with those parameters
tounderstand the subtle difference?

I think the existing names are fine - people should understand that
"options" means "server-side options" and that anything else is a
client-side option.  However, if there's a strong consensus the other
way and someone feels like working up a patch, that's fine too.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company