pgAdmin Query Tool hangs when working with GIS data - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Michael Willekes
Subject pgAdmin Query Tool hangs when working with GIS data
Date
List pgadmin-support
Hello,

I've run into a  the same issue described here:

Hardware:
- Windows 7 64 bit, 2 GB Ram, 2.8 Ghz

Tools:
- PostgreSQL 9.0.1, compiled by Visual C++ build 1500, 32-bit
- pgAdmin 1.12.1 (Oct 3, 2010, rev:REL-1_12_1)
- PostGIS 1.5.2

I used shp2pgsql from the PostGIS toolkit to generate an SQL Query from a shapefile(*).  The generated .SQL file is not too big (~13MB) but is a little odd in that some of the generated geometry columns are excessively wide (>250K characters on a single line).  The query executes fine (data is correctly loaded into the database), but subsequent attemps to load the pgAdmin query tool cause pgAdmin to hang (has to be killed from Task Manager).

Deleting 'pgadmin_histoqueries.xml' resolves the issue.  I uninstalled/reinstalled pgAdmin several times, but didn't know about the existance of this history file (which was stored in my Windows AppData Dir - and 'survived' an uninstall/reinstall - which of course meant that each install exhibited the same problem).

It's probably not a common scenario, but it took me a while to find the issue, so I thought I'd mention it here...

Regards,
Mike