Re: Issues with generate_series using integer boundaries - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Glenn Maynard
Subject Re: Issues with generate_series using integer boundaries
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 7:36 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> writes:
> Actually, those lower bound errors aren't related to generate_series,
> but I'd still like to know why -2147483648::int4 is out of range.

:: binds tighter than - (and everything else too).  Write
(-2147483648)::int4 instead.

That's surprising enough that it might be worth generating a warning if the typecasting operator is used on a mathmatical expression--"a - b::int4"--rather than a single value (eg. "(a - b)::int4" or "f()::int4").  I don't know the grammar to know if that fits.

--
Glenn Maynard