Re: Import id column then convert to SEQUENCE? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Shoaib Mir
Subject Re: Import id column then convert to SEQUENCE?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 2:53 PM, Shoaib Mir <shoaibmir@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 2:44 PM, gvim <gvimrc@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm migrating a database from MySQL and need to keep the original `id` column (AUTO_INCREMENT) intact so my plan is to create an simple integer `id` column, import the data then convert the new `id` column to a SEQUENCE. Is this possible/the best solution? Maybe a migration utility would be better? Suggestions?

Try using SERIAL datatype.

I guess I misread it... use the following:

- Import all the data into say an integer column.
- Now create a sequence and give it a start value of where your import ended.
- Make the default value for the column using the new sequence.

--
Shoaib Mir
http://shoaibmir.wordpress.com/