Re: [GENERAL] Re: [GENERAL] Re: [GENERAL] Different encoding for string values and identifier strings? Or (select 'tést' as tést) returns different values for string and identifier... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Francisco Figueiredo Jr.
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Re: [GENERAL] Re: [GENERAL] Different encoding for string values and identifier strings? Or (select 'tést' as tést) returns different values for string and identifier...
Date
Responses Re: Re: [GENERAL] Re: [GENERAL] Re: [GENERAL] Different encoding for string values and identifier strings? Or (select 'tést' as tést) returns different values for string and identifier...  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general

Oh, sorry for that.

My client code is Npgsql. I pulled those bytes from a debugging session directly from the network stream. I wanted to know what bytes npgsql was receiving.

This is the method which reads the data:

public static String ReadString(Stream network_stream)
{
NpgsqlEventLog.LogMethodEnter(LogLevel.Debug, CLASSNAME, "ReadString");

List<byte> buffer = new List<byte>();
for (int bRead = network_stream.ReadByte(); bRead != 0; bRead = network_stream.ReadByte())
{
if (bRead == -1)
{
throw new IOException();
}
else
{
buffer.Add((byte) bRead);
}
}

            if (NpgsqlEventLog.Level >= LogLevel.Debug)
                NpgsqlEventLog.LogMsg(resman, "Log_StringRead", LogLevel.Debug, ENCODING_UTF8.GetString(buffer.ToArray()));

return ENCODING_UTF8.GetString(buffer.ToArray());
}

My database has encoding set to UTF-8 although my lc_collate is pt.BR.UTF-8 this lc setting my have cause some trouble?

I also have problems with psql client where the char doesn't appear at all. Andreas could see the char though...

I hope it helps.

Thanks in advance.
--
Sent from my Android phone