Re: REVIEW: EXPLAIN and nfiltered - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: REVIEW: EXPLAIN and nfiltered
Date
List pgsql-hackers
wrote:<br/> ><br /> > Robert Haas <<a href="mailto:robertmhaas@gmail.com">robertmhaas@gmail.com</a>>
writes:<br/> > > On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 11:55 AM, Stephen Frost <<a
href="mailto:sfrost@snowman.net">sfrost@snowman.net</a>>wrote:<br /> > >> While I agree completely about
thegeneral "if you're going to break,<br /> > >> break it big" approach, but I don't particularly care for
holdingoutput<br /> > >> strings from EXPLAIN to the same level that we do the wireline protocol.<br />
truethat a client that wants to truly *understand*<br /> > the plan has to know a lot of things, but the fundamental
 (cost=xxx.xx..xxx.xxrows=xxx width=xxx) (actual time=xxx.xxx..xxx.xxx rows=xxx loops=xxx)<br /> >   detail line:
understandingseems plenty sufficient for something like<br /> > <a
href="http://explain.depesz.com">explain.depesz.com</a>,to name just one popular tool.  The last format<br /> >
changeof any kind we made in this skeleton was to increase the number<br /> > of decimal places in the "actual time"
numbersfrom 2 to 3 (wow).<br /> > That was in 7.4.  Modulo that detail, this basic contract has been valid<br />
>It might be interesting for somebody to go look at Hubert's code and see<br /> > just how much it really knows
lookedat what changes with this patch, but dont forget PgAdmin that also parses the output. Though if the format
changesenough to affect it, that might be the driving force to have it use xml format instead, which is the one that is
intendedfor machine parsing after all.. <p>/Magnus