Re: Expected frequency of auto_vacuum activity - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Matthew Walden
Subject Re: Expected frequency of auto_vacuum activity
Date
List pgsql-general
Dave,

Does your application use temporary tables?  This may explain high autovacuum activity in the catalog tables.

With regards to your tables, I wrote this very script to give me an indication of the amount of required activity on the user tables.  I deliberately keep this one simple and it doesn't include the associated TOAST rows but you get the idea (it works on 9.0 you may need to test on 8).

select relid,
       schemaname,
       relname,
       n_live_tup as live_rows,
       n_dead_tup as dead_rows,
       round(cast(n_dead_tup as decimal)/cast(n_live_tup as decimal),3) fraction_changed,
       to_char(greatest(last_
autovacuum,last_vacuum),'DD/MM/YYYY HH24:MI:SS') last_vacuum,
       to_char(greatest(last_autoanalyze,last_analyze),'DD/MM/YYYY HH24:MI:SS') last_analyze
from pg_stat_all_tables a
where schemaname not in ('pg_catalog','pg_toast','information_schema');

select name,
       setting
from pg_settings
where name in ('autovacuum_vacuum_threshold','autovacuum_vacuum_scale_factor','autovacuum_analyze_scale_factor','autovacuum_analyze_threshold');

If your tables are particularly large then the number of dead rows may not qualify autovacuum_vacuum_scale_factor.  What is the ratio between live and dead rows?