Re: SQLSTATE of notice PGresult - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: SQLSTATE of notice PGresult
Date
Re: SQLSTATE of notice PGresult  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 4:18 AM, Dmitriy Igrishin <dmitigr@gmail.com> wrote:
> Okay, as Robert points, "00000" code in successful messages seems as waste
> of bytes. But according to the documentation, "All messages emitted by the
> PostgreSQL server are assigned five-character error codes that follow the
> SQL
> standard's conventions for "SQLSTATE" codes." - the first sentence of
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/errcodes-appendix.html

Sounds like that wording needs some adjustment.  I'm not even sure
that it would be correct to say "All error messages...", unless
elog(ERROR, "can't happen") throws something into that field.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company