Re: Suggested swap size for new db? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Vick Khera
Subject Re: Suggested swap size for new db?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 10:34 PM, Evan D. Hoffman
<evandhoffman@gmail.com> wrote:
> as part of another project) running on CentOS 5.4 or 5.5.  I know the
> old rule of thumb that your swap partition/disk should be equal to the
> physical memory, but when dealing with memory sizes greater than ~16
> GB that starts to seem strange to me; and now with 96 GB of physical
> memory I'm starting to wonder if I'd be better off forgoing swap
> altogether for the new database.

The "old" rule is swap = 3x RAM. But those were the days of 64MB RAM
being an extravagance. :)

What I currently do is try to make swap = RAM + delta, so that if
(when?) the machine panics I can get a useful kernel panic core dump.
Given that boot drives are ~1TB these days, that's not a big deal.

Machines running large RAM like that should never swap, else the point
of having that much RAM is lost, and you probably needed more RAM to
handle your workload than you anticipated.