Re: base backup and tar problems with disappearing files. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rajesh Kumar Mallah
Subject Re: base backup and tar problems with disappearing files.
Date
List pgsql-general
Sorry Alban , For the late update.

Yep John,

I am talking about the tar'ring of pgdatadir only  excluding the pg_xlog dir.
We have set up our full backup system in accordance to the admin guide.
Even the guide  puts forward the limitation of tar in producing
distinguishing exit codes.

My doubt at this moment is , Is it normal to expect files disappearing from the
pgdatadir during the course of taking base backup ? I can think about the temp
sorting files disappearing but i am not sure what could cause data files disappear
like example given below:

tar: /mnt/disk1/pgdatadir/base/16399/861272781: Cannot stat: No such file or directory

If the above incidence is normal then i would only worry about making tar not to worry
about the disappearing files.

The reason of putting this question is that the line in one of the later paras
of section "24.3.2" says

"Some file system backup tools emit warnings or errors if the files they are trying to
copy change while the copy proceeds."  , it only says about "change" not disappearance.

Since i have deep respect for the excellent documentation quality of PostgreSQL project
i read and interpret it by words.

Warm Regds
-mallah.