Re: We need to log aborted autovacuums - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: We need to log aborted autovacuums
Date
Re: We need to log aborted autovacuums  (Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 2:27 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

>> If you could gather more info on whether this logging catches the
>> problem cases you're seeing, that would really be the right test for the
>> patch's usefulness.  I'd give you solid 50/50 odds that you've correctly
>> diagnosed the issue, and knowing for sure would make advocating for this
>> logging a pretty easy sell to me at least.
>
> Well, I already resolved the issue through polling pg_locks.  The issue
> was IIT sessions which lasted up to an hour, which we fixed in the
> application, so I don't have the test case available anymore.  I'd have
> to generate a synthetic test case, and since I agree that a SQL-callable
> diagnostic is superior to logging, I don't think we should pursue the
> log levels further.

This is a great use case for user level tracing support. Add a probe
around these bits, and you can capture the information when you need
it.

Robert Treat
http://www.xzilla.net