Re: system views for walsender activity - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: system views for walsender activity
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 22:21, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 1:46 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>>
>>> To my way of thinking, pg_stat_walsender and pg_stat_walreceiver would
>>> be more clear than pg_stat_replication_master and
>>> pg_stat_replication_slave.
>>
>> Let's commit it so that some of us can get a look at the data it
>> contains, and then we can fix the name during beta.
>
> Well, the first half is committed, under the name pg_stat_replication.
>  So go look at that, for starters...

One thing I noticed is that it gives an interesting property to my
patch for streaming base backups - they now show up in
pg_stat_replication, with a streaming location of 0/0.

If the view is named pg_stat_replication, we probably want to filter
that out somehow. But then, do we want a separate view listing the
walsenders that are busy sending base backups?

For that matter, do we want an indication that separates a walsender
not sending data from one sending that happens to be at location 0/0?
Most will leave 0/0 really quickly, but a walsender can be idle (not
received a command yet), or it can be running IDENTIFY_SYSTEM for
example.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/