Re: autovacuum launcher process eating up 17G+ of ram? - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Nick
Subject Re: autovacuum launcher process eating up 17G+ of ram?
Date
Re: autovacuum launcher process eating up 17G+ of ram?
List pgsql-admin
On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 11:17 AM, Kevin Grittner
<Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov> wrote:

> I've not seen anything remotely like that.  I wonder what's
> different....

I did a test with the same postgres build (and autovacuum_naptime = 1
as well) on the same OS with only the system databases (postgres,
template0, template1), and after the weekend the memory utilization
was acceptable:

14879 pgsql     15   0  312m 177m 1108 S  0.0  8.8   0:24.43 postgres

However on the other machine which has 136 total databases (133 user +
the same 3 system ones listed above), the kernel had to kill off the
postgres process since the box ran out of memory (the box has 8GB ram
+ 30GB swap), and I see it climbing again.

It seems like the problem is a function of how many databases there are.

> Is there anything unusual in the logs?

I set log_autovacuum_min_duration = 0 but that doesn't even seem to
show that anything is being vacuumed.  The only thing unusual in the
logs was a result of the box running out of memory and the kernel
killing off processes.