Re: JDBC gripe list - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Oliver Jowett
Subject Re: JDBC gripe list
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
On 30 March 2011 12:43, Kris Jurka <books@ejurka.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Mar 2011, Kevin Grittner wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately, the combination of these two requirements with the
>> fact that the PostgreSQL driver supports JDK 1.2 or higher means
>> that this option must not be allowed.
>
> Support for JDK1.2 and 1.3 was dropped starting with the 8.4 release.
>
> http://jdbc.postgresql.org/download.html#supported

What do you think about dropping support for 1.4 and requiring 1.5?

 * the issues with generics in JDBC interfaces would hopefully go away
 * many of the backwards compatibility issues with older JDBC versions
(e.g. BIT vs BOOLEAN) go away
 * we can use generics in the driver implementation
 * we can use java.util.concurrent
 * many 3rd party libraries become useful (e.g. Netty) - there aren't
many things that support 1.4 left

I have a hard time dealing with the driver code these days because
first, I have to forget half of the language tools I usually use ..

Oliver