Re: Libpq is very slow on windows but fast on linux. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rob Brown-Bayliss
Subject Re: Libpq is very slow on windows but fast on linux.
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sun, Nov 7, 2010 at 1:06 PM, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:
> when you say 500mS, thats the round trip ping time?

It's a bit less, for example SELECT max(id) on the same table takes
about 350ms.  Yes, I am in New Zealand, the server is in Canada. pings
take about 275ms average.

> I think I'd run a packet sniffer like Wireshark on both client platforms,
> sniffing 5432/tcp and see if there's something unusual in the timing of the
> packets, incorrect MTU or something, lost packets and extra retries, or
> whatever.   Perhaps Windows isn't using a sufficiently large TCP Recieve
> Window (RWIN) value, or something.

I am a bit out of my depth there, but for all other network use the
machine seems the same in either os.  That is no noticiable difference
in download/upload speed.

--

Rob