Re: PHP Web Auditing and Authorization - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gabriel Dinis
Subject Re: PHP Web Auditing and Authorization
Date
List pgsql-general
Thanks to all.
You are great!

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 3:16 PM, Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com> wrote:

> Bill,
>

> > We got this same kind of thing working by using PostgreSQL env variables.
> > First, set custom_variable_classes in your postgresql.conf.  You can then
> > use the SET command to set variables of that class, and use them in your
> > functions:
> >
> > that is an interesting hack. Just googled up
>
> http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/runtime-config-custom.html
>
> and now I am wondering, where did you get your confidence  that those
> variables are bound to sessions and NOT bound to server instances? My
> reading of that documentation let me stay in the assumption, those variables
> are the same across server instances....

huh?

Those variables are bound to database session.  Which means each PHP
process needs to set that variable shortly after establishing the
database connection, and before running any queries that require it.
Otherwise, PHP persistent connections my have values from previous
scripts, and non-persistent connections will have the values unset.

We set all the values we use in our session startup code, which always
runs at the beginning of script execution, and is guaranteed to know
the values because it's reading them from the session.