Re: getting list of columns from a query - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: getting list of columns from a query
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello

2010/8/22 c k <shreeseva.learning@gmail.com>:
> Hi all,
> As I am using MS Access for a long time, many tools like ms access provides
> a way to get the list of columns from a query. (using filed list in combo
> boxes in ms access). But is it possible to get such list of columns from a
> query where it is not known to the user, that which columns are defined in
> the base 'SELECT' statement? How? I dynamically created SQL statements many
> times this situation occurs where the columns are not fixed and we have to
> get the list of columns from such a query.
> Thanks in advance.

Yes, it is possible, you can get a description of prepared statement's
result. See: PQprepare, PQdescribePrepared, PQdescribePortal. These
functions are in client postgresql library -
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/libpq-exec.html#LIBPQ-EXEC-MAIN

Regards

Pavel Stehule