Are SQL queries locale dependent? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martin Schäfer
Subject Are SQL queries locale dependent?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

I recently found out that my app doesn't work in Spain because it creates localized queries like this:

create table t (c1 float8, c2 float8);
insert into t (c1, c2) values (3,14159, 1,4142);

I understand that PostgreSQL obviously can't parse this query. But I'm not sure how to fix this query so that it works
underall circumstances.

If the database uses the "C" (or e.g. English or US) locale, then I know that I always have to use the decimal dot
('.')instead of a decimal comma (','), regardless of the locale of the client machine.

But what if the database itself uses a locale which mandates a decimal comma, like Spanish, German, etc.? How do I have
toconstruct the SQL query then?

Martin