Re: basic download and setup questions - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From John DeSoi
Subject Re: basic download and setup questions
Date
List pgsql-novice
Ray,

On Dec 8, 2004, at 11:12 PM, Raymond Still wrote:

> The webpage listing the various mailing lists said that
> no question was too simple, so here goes:
> I am trying to evaluate PostGreSQL to see if it can do
> what I want. My first problem is that I can't figure
> out what files to download. I'm running Windows XP and
> want to create a stand alone "program" for inventory
> and job tracking.
> I have little DB experience, but I have significant
> experience with several programing languages. I'm not
> asking for help in designing the "program", just some
> pointers in finding the right files and documentation.
> As well, does PostGreSQL work on just a single
> computer?
> I apoligize if this is all explained in a FAQ
> somewhere. I did look.

Your best bet as a new Windows user is to download the distribution
from here which includes a complete Windows installer:

http://pgfoundry.org/frs/?group_id=1000007

(or more specifically, this is the latest release:
http://pgfoundry.org/frs/download.php/85/postgresql-8.0.0-rc1.zip).

It should prompt you for everything you need to get the database up and
running. The documentation and pgAdmin, a graphical PostgreSQL client
is included.

Best,

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/