Re: [GENERAL] Logical decoding error - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Steve Atkins
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Logical decoding error
Date
List pgsql-general
> On Nov 2, 2017, at 9:34 AM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> Running Postgres 9.6.5, we're using logical decoding to take changes to the database and propagate them elsewhere in
oursystem. We are using the PGX Go Postgres library, at https://github.com/jackc/pgx, and we are using the
test_decodingplugin to format the changes. We are using 6 slots/have 6 processes streaming the changes from our
database.

> This setup works great, except that every 20 hours or so, some or all of the processes encounter a problem, all at
thesame time. They receive an unexpected message type 'w'.  At this point the processes restart, and when they do, they
encounteranother error: "ERROR: got sequence entry 0 for toast chunk 20559160 instead of seq 6935 (SQLSTATE XX000)"
(thechunk number/seq number varies). This causes them to restart again. They will encounter the sequence entry error up
to3 more times, before things magically start to work again.

> We are also doing standard streaming replication to a slave off this database, and that has never seen a problem.
>
> Does this ring a bell for anyone? Do you have any suggestions for how I should go about figuring out what's
happening?

Where are the errors coming from - your code or pgx? If it's from pgx, what's the exact error? ('w' is regular
replicationpayload data, so it'd be expected as a copydata payload message type, but would be an error for a
replicationmessage).

Do you capture the raw data from the replication connection when the error happens?

(If you're using pgx you might be interested in https://github.com/wttw/pgoutput - it's support for the pgoutput
logicaldecoder in PG10, which might be a bit more robust to deal with than the test_decoding one).

Cheers, Steve