Patch bug: Fix jsonpath .* on Arrays - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David E. Wheeler
Subject Patch bug: Fix jsonpath .* on Arrays
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hackers,

The behavior of the .* jpiAnyKey jsonpath selector seems incorrect.

```
select jsonb_path_query('[1,2,3]', '$.*');
jsonb_path_query
------------------
(0 rows)

select jsonb_path_query('[1,2,3,{"b": [3,4,5]}]', '$.*');
jsonb_path_query
------------------
[3, 4, 5]
```

The first example might be expected, since .* is intended for object keys, but the handing of `jpiAnyKey` has a branch
forunwrapping arrays. The second example, however, just seems weird: this is .*, not .**.

The attached patch fixes it by passing the next node to `executeAnyItem()` (via `executeItemUnwrapTargetArray()`) and
thenproperly setting `jperOk` when `executeAnyItem()` finds values and there is no current (next) node.

I took this approach given what appears to be the intended behavior or $* on arrays in lax mode. However, I could see
anargument that .* should not apply to arrays at all. If so, I can submit a new patch removing the branch that unwraps
anarray with .*.

Best,

David

Attachment