Re: Query regarding Bulk Import - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From James Prichard
Subject Re: Query regarding Bulk Import
Date
List pgadmin-support
The Postgres equivalent of the Microsoft command

Microsoft T-SQL
===============
BULK INSERT 'database_name.owner.table_name'
FROM 'data_file'
WITH (FIRSTROW=2)

I like to store the column header names in row 1

Postgres
========
COPY tablename [ ( column [, ...] ) ]
FROM 'filename'

Both of these work with tab delimited text flat files.

Dropping indices and avoiding locking and logging overheads is very
important to getting data in fast for Microsoft SQL Server, and
presumably Postgres.

I've not looked at DTS for dumping text from Microsoft.  For my smaller
database, an ADODB SELECT query and writing the record set to a text
file was quick enough.