Re: postgresql_fdw issues with triggers on the foreign tables - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Igor Neyman
Subject Re: postgresql_fdw issues with triggers on the foreign tables
Date
List pgsql-general

From: pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org [mailto:pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Eelke Klein
Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 10:31 AM
To: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: [GENERAL] postgresql_fdw issues with triggers on the foreign tables

I'm experimenting with using foreign data wrappers to get data from one database to another. Most things work perfectly but I am encountering two issues with triggers on the foreign tables.

The first one is when a query triggers a trigger on the foreign table the trigger doesn't have any search_path. Not even a select on a table in public will work from the trigger unless I specify the schema name.

The second problem has to do with DEFAULT values. One of the tables i'm inserting data on has a column called id of type bigserial. This column is not filled by the INSERT statement I'm using so should use it's default which is nextval('...'::regclass); However in the BEFORE INSERT trigger the value of NEW.id IS NULL while normally it would already be assigned a value from the sequence.

The issues with the triggers do not occur when they are triggered by statements executed directly on the database. Only when the statements come from the FDW I have these issues.

The "local" database is version 9.3.3 x64 windows from EnterpriseDB

The foreign database is version 9.3.2 x64 freebsd 10 clang3.3

Regards, Eelke

So, as a workaround, if you already catch “NEW.id IS NULL” in BEFORE INSRT trigger, you could assign NEW.id value nextval('...'::regclass)   right then and there explicitly in such cases.

Regards,

Igor Neyman