Re: excution time for plpgsql function and subfunction - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Igor Neyman
Subject Re: excution time for plpgsql function and subfunction
Date
List pgsql-general

From: pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org [mailto:pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Rémi Cura
Sent: Friday, January 10, 2014 4:10 AM
To: PostgreSQL General
Subject: [GENERAL] excution time for plpgsql function and subfunction

Hey List,
kind of a simple question :

I'm using the postgis_topology extension,
and I'm trying to figure where the slowness comes from when importing data.
It involves plpgsql function calling other plpgsql functions, insert, update, etc etc.

I know I can use explain analyze for one querry, but I don't know how to get details of how much time takes each
sub-functioncalled by a main function.

Thus it is very difficult to guess where is the bottleneck.
Thanks ,cheers,

Rémi-C

You could use auto_explain module to get info you are looking for.  It'll be logged in pg_log.
Read about it in the docs:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/auto-explain.html

Regards,
Igor Neyman