Re: configuring timezone - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Igor Neyman
Subject Re: configuring timezone
Date
List pgsql-general
Thank you for explaining.=0A=
=0A=
Regards,=0A=
Igor Neyman=0A=
=0A=
________________________________________=0A=
From: Tom Lane [tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us]=0A=
Sent: Wednesday, February 06, 2013 5:11 PM=0A=
To: Igor Neyman=0A=
Cc: Adrian Klaver; pgsql-general@postgresql.org=0A=
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] configuring timezone=0A=
=0A=
Igor Neyman <ineyman@perceptron.com> writes:=0A=
> Going back to the reason for this change in Release Notes:=0A=
> "This avoids expensive time zone probes during server start."=0A=
> How expensive?=0A=
=0A=
The time zone probe logic involves reading every file under=0A=
/usr/share/zoneinfo (or wherever you have the Olson tz database=0A=
installed).  There are a couple thousand of those in a typical Linux=0A=
installation.  In a cold-boot situation where none of that data is=0A=
already swapped in, it's not unusual for this to take five seconds or=0A=
more.  Now that may or may not seem like a lot, but it's more than=0A=
enough to cause many startup scripts to conclude that the postmaster has=0A=
failed.  The hacks we'd built up to deal with this eventually became=0A=
insupportable.=0A=
=0A=
We're not going back.  I suggest you consider ways to adjust your=0A=
server-migration process.=0A=
=0A=
                        regards, tom lane=0A=