Re: Question on Hot Standby in PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Albe Laurenz
Subject Re: Question on Hot Standby in PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-admin
Alex Williams wrote:
> Concerning these two params below, when using hot_standby_feedback,  what would you set them if you
> had the situation where you had queries constantly running on the standby, some quick and some long,
> practically all day/night, everyday?
>
> max_standby_archive_delay (integer)
> max_standby_streaming_delay (integer)

> Should I still keep them as -1 (infinite)?

I'd say set them both to 0.

If you have hot_standby_feedback=on, the primary will not remove any rows still
needed on the standby, so there should never be a need to delay WAL application.

The drawback is that you may get considerable bloat on the primary if many
DELETE/UPDATE operation are going on and queries on the standby take a long time.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe