Re: Creating a user for pg_start_backup - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Albe Laurenz
Subject Re: Creating a user for pg_start_backup
Date
List pgsql-general
Andrew Beverley wrote:
> I'm setting up hot backups on my database server. As such, I'd like to set up a
> Postgres user that has access to only pg_start_backup and pg_stop_backup.
>
> I'm unable to work out how to do this with the various GRANT options. Can someone
> point me in the right direction please? Or is there a better way to achieve this,
> rather than having a dedicated user?

If you want to be as restrictive as possible, you could create functions
owned by a superuser with SECURITY DEFINER that do only these things
and give execution rights only to a user that has no other privileges.

Youes,
Laurenz Albe