Re: CLOB & BLOB limitations in PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Albe Laurenz
Subject Re: CLOB & BLOB limitations in PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
Jack.O'Sullivan wrote:
> I am working for a client who is interested in migrating from Oracle to Postgres. Their database is
> currently ~20TB in size, and is growing. The biggest table in this database is effectively a BLOB
> store and currently has around 1 billion rows.
>
> From reading around Postgres, there are a couple of limits which are concerning in terms of being able
> to migrate this database. We are not up against these limits just yet, but it is likely that they will
> be a potential blocker within the next few years.
>
> 1) Table can be maximum of 32TB  (http://www.postgresql.org/about/ <http://www.postgresql.org/about/>
> )
>
> 2) When storing bytea or text datatypes there is a limit of 4 billion entries per table
> (https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/BinaryFilesInDB <https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/BinaryFilesInDB> )
>
> With both of these, are they hard limits or can they be worked around with partitioning of tables?
> Could we set the table up in such a way that each child table was limited, but there was no limit on
> the number of children?

Yes, if you store the BLOBs as bytea.  The limits will be per partition.

If you want to use LOBs, there cannot be more than 2^32 per database.

> With point two, does this mean that any table with a bytea datatype is limited to 4 billion rows
> (which would seem in conflict with the "unlimited rows" shown by http://www.postgresql.org/about
> <http://www.postgresql.org/about> )? If we had rows where the bytea was a "null" entry would they
> contribute towards this total or is it 4 billion non-null entries?

I think it is "4 billion rows that contain a column that is TOASTed".
NULLs won't contribute.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe