Re: Postgres 9.3 read block error went into recovery mode - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Albe Laurenz
Subject Re: Postgres 9.3 read block error went into recovery mode
Date
List pgsql-general
Shuwn Yuan Tee wrote:
> We recently experienced crash on out postgres production server. Here's our server environment:
>
> - Postgres 9.3
> - in OpenVZ container
> - total memory: 64GB
>

> Here's the error snippet from postgres log:
>
> ERROR:  could not read block 356121 in file "base/33134/33598.2": Bad address
>
> LOG:  server process (PID 21119) was terminated by signal 7: Bus error
[...]

> Can anyone suggests whether this is critical error? Does it indicate any data corruption in postgres?

Yes, this is a critical error.

Unless my math is off, a PostgreSQL disk file should not contain more
than 131072 blocks (1GB / 8KB), so something is whacky there.

But I find the second entry just as alarming.

I am no hardware guy, but I believe that a bus error would indicate a
hardware problem.

Is there a chance that you can perform a thorough hardware check
on the machine?

Make sure that you have a good backup from before this happened.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe