Re: Random server overload - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Albe Laurenz
Subject Re: Random server overload
Date
List pgsql-admin
Viktor wrote:
> We are experiencing database random overloads caused by IDLE processes.
> Their count jumps from normal ~70 connections to 250-300 with high I/O
> (30-40% wa, when normal ~ 1 % wa).
>
> The overload isn't long and lasts about 5 -10 minutes just a couple of
> times during the month.
>
> Please suggest how to debug this issue and find the cause of the
> overloads. Or mby we should tune our config file ?
>
> errorlog example:
> 2013-09-30 10:37:45 EEST FATAL:  sorry, too many clients already
> 2013-09-30 10:37:45 EEST FATAL:  remaining connection slots are reserved
> for non-replication superuser connections

Looks like something tries to open lots of connections at these times.

Your best bet is to is to set log_connections = on and examine the log file
when the problem happens.  That way you can figure out where the connections
come from.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe