Re: Synonyms in PostgreSQL 9.2.4 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Albe Laurenz
Subject Re: Synonyms in PostgreSQL 9.2.4
Date
List pgsql-general
Panneerselvam Posangu wrote:
> I am currently working on a conversion project. We plan to make our application PostgreSQL compliant.
> And for this we have chosen PosgreSQL 9.2.4.
>
> Currently our application works along with Oracle 11g. In Oracle schema we have created Synonyms. The
> context is this:
> In Oracle schema we have couple of users. They own tables, views, and other objects. We create
> synonyms for a given object ,grant needed privilege and provide those synonyms to the users other than
> the owners.
>
> Is there any work-around you could suggest in PostgreSQL?

In the following I use "schema" in the PostgreSQL meaning of
the word.

I can think of two solutions:

1) Set the search_path of the users so that it contains the schemas
   that contain the needed objects and grant them privileges on the
   objects and schemas.

2) If for some reason that seems undesirable, you can use a
   view as substitute for an Oracle schema object.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe