Re: DB alias ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Albe Laurenz
Subject Re: DB alias ?
Date
List pgsql-general
Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-01-24 at 09:01 +0530, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> > On Wednesday, January 23, 2013 09:39:43 PM Gauthier, Dave wrote:
> > > Then someone who wants to look at old JAN data will have the same problem
> > > :-(
> > >
> > > If I recall, Oracle enables something like this.  Multiple tnsfilenames (or
> > > something like that).  There was a connect layer on the server side that
> > > the DBA had access to where you could do stuff like this.

> > I would have suggested to use pg_services file as documented at
> >
> > http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/libpq-pgservice.html
> > http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/libpq-connect.html
> >
> > You can think of this as tnsnames replacement.
> >
> > but I am unable to make it work. I don't know what is wrong with this.
> >
> > shridhar@bheem ~$ cat ~/.pg_service.conf
> > [test1]
> > host=localhost
> > dbname=test
> >
> > shridhar@bheem ~$ strace -o psql.strace psql test1
> > psql: FATAL:  database "test1" does not exist
>
> Well, you need to tell psql to use a service:
>
> psql service=test1
>
> or
>
> PGSERVICE=test1
> psql

In addition, to return to the example from
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/0AD01C53605506449BA127FB8B99E5E16112D04F@FMSMSX105.amr.corp.intel.com
you can centralize the name resolution on an LDAP server:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/libpq-ldap.html

That saves you from having to change the pg_service.conf
file on each client if you have a lot of clients.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe