Re: Vacuum analyze verbose output - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Albe Laurenz
Subject Re: Vacuum analyze verbose output
Date
List pgsql-general
Anjali Arora wrote:
> I ran following command on 8.2.2 postgresql:
>  psql -p port dbname -c "vacuum analyze verbose"
> last few lines from "vacuum analyze verbose" output:
>
> DETAIL:  A total of 2336 page slots are in use (including overhead).
> 2336 page slots are required to track all free space.
> Current limits are:  153600 page slots, 1000 relations, using 965 kB.
>
> After upgrade to postgresql 9.0.4 I am not getting this output as the part of "vacuum analyze verbose"
> output.
>
> Can anybody please let me know where can I find this information in postgresql 9.0.4.

This output must be referring to the free space map
(parameters max_fsm_pages and max_fsm_relations)
that used to be kept in shared memory in older
PostgreSQL versions.

Since version 8.4 the free space map is no longer
kept in shared memory, but in disk files.
You don't have to tune it any more, and there is no
need for VACUUM to report usage statistics.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe