Re: Storing database in cluster (Memory) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Hiltibidal, Robert
Subject Re: Storing database in cluster (Memory)
Date
List pgsql-general
You might take a look at index anding for speeding up your selects

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org
[mailto:pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Richard Huxton
Sent: Tuesday, February 06, 2007 7:24 AM
To: roopa perumalraja
Cc: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Storing database in cluster (Memory)

roopa perumalraja wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As I am inserting 100million rows daily into partitioned tables
> (daily wise), it is getting slower.

What is - the inserts? By how much? What tables? What indexes? How are
you inserting these rows?

 > Even the retrivel of data, select
> statement on those tables takes about 30 mintues.

All selects take 30 minutes, regardless what work they do? Or do you
have specific selects that are causing problems?

 > I have tried
> increasing the parameters in postgres.conf but still that doesn't
> help me much as the no of rows are huge.

What parameters, to what values? What hardware are you running on? What
load do you place on it?

 > Will the idea of storing the
> database in cluster (memory) increase the performance of
> insert/update/select in the table in a suitation like this? Thanks a
> lot in advance.

A better question would be "Why isn't my data being cached?". The
operating-system should cache regularly used files.

Still - more details please roopa and we'll see if anyone can help you.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL
This email transmission contains privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the individual or
entitynamed above.  If the reader of the email is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for
deliveringit to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination or copying of this email
transmissionis strictly prohibited by the sender.  If you have received this transmission in error, please delete the
emailand immediately notify the sender via the email return address or mailto:postmaster@argushealth.com.  Thank you.