Re: Index Anding - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Hiltibidal, Robert
Subject Re: Index Anding
Date
List pgsql-sql
This is excellent information

Thank you!

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew Sullivan [mailto:ajs@crankycanuck.ca]
Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 9:53 AM
To: Hiltibidal, Robert; pgsql-sql@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: Index Anding

You probably want to take these questions to the -general list, or
-admin, in future.  That said. . .

On Wed, Jan 31, 2007 at 08:56:21AM -0600, Hiltibidal, Robert wrote:

> Does postgres provide for index anding?

Yes.  See
<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/indexes-bitmap-scans.html>.
You don't need to do anything special.

> How does postgres handle tablespaces? I currently have my indexes
going
> to one table space with my data going to a different table space. Is
> this possible in postgres?

Yes.  See
<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/manage-ag-tablespaces.html>

> Does postgres provide 64 bit support? If so is there a precompiled 64
> bit version for AIX? I have the 32 bit GCC and can compile 32 bit. 64
> bit GCC I have not gotten stabilized. (I cold use a tip in that
> direction if anyone lese has experienced similar issues)

I know we've managed to get it to work using gcc, but I haven't had
to do it in a while (ask on -general or -admin, I suggest).  More
important is to make sure you tell the compiler to use all the
memory.  For reasons that are completely beyond my ken, AIX imposes a
memory limitation on every program at compile time.  There are some
hints about this in the FAQ_AIX.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
When my information changes, I alter my conclusions.  What do you do
sir?    --attr. John Maynard Keynes

PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL
This email transmission contains privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the individual or
entitynamed above.  If the reader of the email is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for
deliveringit to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination or copying of this email
transmissionis strictly prohibited by the sender.  If you have received this transmission in error, please delete the
emailand immediately notify the sender via the email return address or mailto:postmaster@argushealth.com.  Thank you.