Re: "Flattening" query result into columns - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Tambet Matiisen
Subject Re: "Flattening" query result into columns
Date
List pgsql-sql
The problem in linked article could be solved with custom aggregate in PostgreSQL:

create or replace function concat(text, text) returns text  immutable  language sql
as '
select case when $1 = '''' then $2 else $1 || '' '' || $2 end
';

drop aggregate concat(text) cascade;
create aggregate concat
(  basetype = text,  stype = text,  sfunc = concat,  initcond = ''
);

The query:

select Col_A, concat(Col_B)
from table
group by Col_A

If you want only distinct values concatenated:

select Col_A, concat(distinct Col_B)
from table
group by Col_A
 Tambet

.7b6c320b%40posting.google.com>

What you're asking for is called a pivot table, and at least in Oracle
they use a function called decode(). I need exactly the same thing, but
I too am unable to find the optimal way to do it in PostgreSQL.
--
Leif Biberg Kristensen
http://solumslekt.org/