Re: HELP With Install 7.4.1 under Cygwin - - Mailing list pgsql-cygwin

From Godshall Michael
Subject Re: HELP With Install 7.4.1 under Cygwin -
Date
List pgsql-cygwin

Is cygpic running?

The other reason is usually a permission problem.  The initdb command should be run under the postgres user account.

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-cygwin-owner@postgresql.org
[mailto:pgsql-cygwin-owner@postgresql.org]On Behalf Of John Simeone
Sent: Sunday, November 30, 2003 6:13 PM
To: pgsql-cygwin@postgresql.org
Subject: [CYGWIN] HELP With Install 7.4.1 under Cygwin -

I am PostgreSQL newbie attempting to install PostgreSQL 7.4.1 running
under Cygwin on a Windows NT 4.0 SP 6 system.

I am down to the step of initializing the database.

When running initdb in the bash shell, I get the following diagnostics:

$ initdb -D /usr/share/postgresql/data
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user
"Administrator".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale C.

fixing permissions on existing directory /usr/share/postgresql/data... ok
creating directory /usr/share/postgresql/data/base... ok
creating directory /usr/share/postgresql/data/global... ok
creating directory /usr/share/postgresql/data/pg_xlog... ok
creating directory /usr/share/postgresql/data/pg_clog... ok
selecting default max_connections... 10
selecting default shared_buffers... 50
creating configuration files... ok
creating template1 database in /usr/share/postgresql/data/base/1...
FATAL:  could not create shared  memory segment: Function not implemented
DETAIL:  Failed system call was s*hmget*(key=1, size=1081344, 03600).

initdb: failed

Any ideas would be appreciated.