Re: Returned row count doesn't match lines in output file - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Rob Sargent
Subject Re: Returned row count doesn't match lines in output file
Date
List pgsql-sql

On Nov 7, 2019, at 10:57 AM, Tchouante, Merlin <mtchouan@umaryland.edu> wrote:

Hello group,

I’m new to this group so please bear with me.

select count (u.user_id)
from users u, course_main cm, course_users cu
where cu.crsmain_pk1 = cm.pk1
and cu.users_pk1 = u.pk1
and cm.course_id = 'Org.dent.Training';

(4915 rows)

I’m executing an .sql file which looks like this:

\o /home/bbuser/banner/gradeload/sodorgusers.txt
\t on
select u.user_id||'|'||u.firstname||'|'||u.lastname||'|'||u.email||'|'||u.student_id
from users u, course_main cm, course_users cu
where cu.crsmain_pk1 = cm.pk1
and cu.users_pk1 = u.pk1
and cm.course_id = 'Org.dent.Training'
order by u.lastname, u.firstname;
\t off
\o

When I look at the output file, it has a bunch of blank lines in between the records but displays a line count of 4916.  What is causing the blank lines?  When I strip away the blank lines from the file, I get 3525 lines.  Why aren’t all 4,915 records writing to the file?

Are there any null values in any of the fields you’re concatenating?  Try the same query but return the separate columns.  Maybe add \pset null nil to get other than whitespace for null.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
  -- Merlin

Merlin D. Tchouante, Sr. IT Enterprise Application Developer
Center for Information Technology Services (CITS)
601 West Lombard Street
Baltimore, Maryland 21201-1512
mtchouan@umaryland.edu
410-706-4489 * 410-706-1500 fax