Re: Troubles in Initializing Postgres Database 8.2 - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Maarten van der Heijden
Subject Re: Troubles in Initializing Postgres Database 8.2
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Hi,

Good news! We've succesfully installed Postgres on Windows Embedded.
The trick was to include a Null Device Driver to the image.

Thanks for your help!

Regards,
Maarten

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: Magnus Hagander [mailto:magnus@hagander.net]=20
Verzonden: maandag 29 januari 2007 13:00
Aan: Maarten van der Heijden
Onderwerp: Re: [BUGS] Troubles in Initializing Postgres Database 8.2

It shouldn't be, but it has been my experience that windows can give the
weirdest errorcodes sometimes :D

On Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 12:47:44PM +0100, Maarten van der Heijden wrote:
> Using my test program with different user accounts (admin and lower accou=
nt) indeed failed with an "access denied" error message (getlasterror code =
5). Not sure if this is related to "file not found" (getlasterror  code 2).
>=20
>=20
 Xp embedded supports shared memory. I've used the same functions as used i=
n shmem.c. There seems to be no problem in creating/opening and accessing/r=
eading shared memory in Xp embedded.=20
> >=20
> > Using process explorer I could also see InitDb creating the shared memo=
ry segment (PostgreSQL.1).=20
> >=20
> > If I understand correctly, InitDb should create a shared memory segment=
 which Postgres can use to initialize the database cluster? And it looks li=
ke initdb fails there right?
>=20
> Eh, I have to say I'm not 100% on which order these things are done. ;)
>=20
> But - inteesting to notice that it worked when you ran it. Question: Did
> you use the same permissions/account? Remember that if you used an admin
> account, you did not use the same one, because initdb will re-exec
> itself with lower permissions. So be sure to try it with a non-admin
> service account. It could be permissions related.
>=20
>=20
> > Is there a way to have more debug output from the process? (initdb with=
 debug option doesn't have enough debug info regarding the error)
>=20
> I think you may need to locate the line that emits it in the source and
> add more info around there yourself :-( this is definitly not something
> we've seen before.
>=20
> //Magnus
>=20
> --=20
> Checked by AVG Free Edition.
7 13:12
>=20=20
>=20
> --=20
> Checked by AVG Free Edition.
7 13:12
>=20=20
>=20
> *******************************DISCLAIMER******************************De=
 informatie verzonden met dit e-mail bericht is uitsluitend voor de geadres=
seerde(n). Openbaarmaking, vermenigvuldiging, verspreiding en/of  verstrekk=
ing aan derden is niet toegestaan. Indien U deze e-mail abusievelijk heeft =
ontvangen, verzoeken wij U het e-mail bericht te verwijderen en de afzender=
 hiervan op de hoogte te stellen. VDG Security Systems bv sluit iedere aans=
prakelijkheid uit, die voortvloeit uit elektronische verzending.=20
> The information contained in this communication is intended solely for us=
e of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and others authorized=
 to receive it. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notifi=
ed that any disclosure, copying,distribution or taking any action in relian=
ce on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If you are n=
ot the intended recipient, please delete this message and any attachments a=
nd advise the sender by return e-mail. VDG Security Systems bv rules out an=
y and every liability resulting from any electronic transmission.=20
13:12
=20

--=20
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
[...]