Re: POSIX question - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Florian Pflug
Subject Re: POSIX question
Date
Re: POSIX question
Re: POSIX question
List pgsql-hackers
On Jun20, 2011, at 15:27 , Radosław Smogura wrote:
> 1. mmap some large amount of anonymous virtual memory (this will be maximum size of shared memory).
> Point 1. will no eat memory, as memory allocation is delayed and in 64bit platforms you may reserve quite huge chunk
ofthis, and in future it may be possible using mmap / munmap to concat chunks / defrag it etc.

I think this breaks with strict overcommit settings (i.e. vm.overcommit_memory = 2 on linux). To fix that, you'd need a
wayto tell the kernel (or glibc) to simply reserve a chunk of virtual address space for further user. Not sure if
there'sa API for that...

best regards,
Florian Pflug