Re: cannot makedb - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Van Ingen, Lane
Subject Re: cannot makedb
Date
List pgsql-novice
There is no such command (that I know of). Looks like you really want to do a createdb or CREATE DATABASE
command. createdb can be issued from an operating system prompt; CREATE DATABASE would be executed from
inside psql. Both will crteate a database for you.

If you have a Postgres manual (version 8.0), createdb is described on p/ 929, CREATE DATABASE on p. 743.
    -----Original Message-----
    From: pgsql-novice-owner@postgresql.org on behalf of Stephen Choularton
    Sent: Tue 3/29/2005 2:33 AM
    To: pgsql-novice@postgresql.org
    Subject: [NOVICE] cannot makedb

    Hi

    Really lost.  I have managed to get the prompt working but when I try to make a db nothing happens. (I am on
windowsXP)

    template1-# \l
            List of databases
       Name    |  Owner   | Encoding
    -----------+----------+-----------
     template0 | postgres | SQL_ASCII
     template1 | postgres | SQL_ASCII
    (2 rows)

    template1-# makedb mydb
    template1-# \l
            List of databases
       Name    |  Owner   | Encoding
     template0 | postgres | SQL_ASCII
     template1 | postgres | SQL_ASCII
    (2 rows)

    Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

    Stephen