Re: pg_ctl start doesn't daemonize properly - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Dennis, Allan
Subject Re: pg_ctl start doesn't daemonize properly
Date
List pgsql-admin
> I am having problems getting pg_ctl to detach from the controlling
terminal
> so that it's a proper daemon.

I figured out the problem, and record it here in hopes that it will help
others.

The silent_mode setting was not on, so postmaster initialization was not
calling setsid(), which is a necessary step to dissociate from the
controlling terminal (and thereby gain immunity from Ctrl-C on parent
processes). The logging setup I have (stdout logged to a specified
logfile and stderr redirected) seems to still work, despite the warnings
to the contrary in the config file template. I don't know why proper
daemonization is linked to being in "silent_mode", but... there you go.

Thanks for making the source code online, google-searchable, and
cross-referenced by doxygen -- I would have been stuck much longer
otherwise.

Allan