Re: Upgrading from 8.3 to 8.4 and Integer datatimes? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Glaesemann
Subject Re: Upgrading from 8.3 to 8.4 and Integer datatimes?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Jul 28, 2009, at 8:48 , Bjørn T Johansen wrote:

> Will a dump and restore take care of this change or do I have to do
> some manual converting when upgrading?

Dump and reload should be fine. While the binary format of the
timestamp values is different in the *database*, the text output of
pg_dump is independent of the binary format: timestamps (and other
values) are literal representations.

As always, for your own edification and assurance, I'd test this with
both a small, toy database and with your production database before
your final upgrade.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net