Getting Citus into (Debian) PGDG - Mailing list pgsql-pkg-debian

From Jason Petersen
Subject Getting Citus into (Debian) PGDG
Date
Re: Getting Citus into (Debian) PGDG  (Jason Petersen <jason@citusdata.com>)
List pgsql-pkg-debian
Hey all,

The latest version of Citus (5.0) is now both open-source and a PostgreSQL extension. As such, I’m looking to get it into PGDG. It appears Devrim’s already taken my RPM spec file and build packages for those distros, so all that’s left are the Debian flavors.

I’ve been collecting my packaging work in a repo at https://github.com/citusdata/packaging , though the most interesting bit is the debian directory. Christoph already suggested I add a watch file, which I’ve tested using uscan. It has a rule for finding the upstream signing key, which I’ve included in the directory (it’s my key, which I’ve been using to sign emails and git commits for some time now). If that part is unnecessary, it can be removed. Our release candidate version numbers use a hyphen, so I’ve included a mangler for that as well (to turn it into a tilde).

The extension builds unmodified on PostgreSQL 9.4 and 9.5 on Debian Jessie/Wheezy and Ubuntu Precise/Trusty/Wily. Lintian has no warnings or errors (save the typical one about not closing an ITP bug), and we’ve been using a Jessie package built with this repo in our Docker image.

I still have two remaining questions:

  • What do I do about the changelog? I’ve included one, but I expect it’s not useful and will need to be replaced by the ultimate packager

  • I’d really like to avoid having to have a special “debian” branch upstream just to have my debian directory available. I noticed many packages (psqlodbc, check-postgres as two examples) have only a debian folder in the apt repo. Since uscan/uupdate can update solely from a downloaded tarball, it seems like this should be an option. Can I take this approach?

Thanks for any help, and looking forward to having our project in the repo!

--
Jason Petersen
Software Engineer | Citus Data

Attachment